What Is a Dental Implant?
Dental implants are one of the most popular options for replacing missing teeth. They are made from titanium and are placed in the jawbone to function as artificial teeth. The implants fuse with the bone and act as a support for artificial teeth, which can be used for eating, speaking, and smiling.
At Mahimaa Dental Care, we believe that dental implants may be an excellent option for some patients, but it is essential to consult with our dental professionals to determine if they are the right choice for your unique needs. Our team will carefully assess your oral health, discuss your goals and concerns, and provide you with all of the information you need to make an informed decision about your dental care. We are committed to helping you achieve a healthy, beautiful smile that lasts a lifetime, and we are here to support you every step of the way. Keep reading to learn more about dental implants – including the procedure, types, and how we can help you achieve a healthy and beautiful smile!
Why are dental implants done?
Dental implants are an effective way of replacing missing teeth and restoring the functionality and appearance of your smile. By using an artificial root, it’s possible to create an artificial tooth or bridge which can be attached to the implant. This allows for a more natural chewing experience and helps to maintain your facial aesthetics.
Some other reasons for getting dental implants may include:
– Improving your speech and pronunciation
– Enhancing your smile
– Increasing oral hygiene
– Stabilizing your existing teeth
– Restoring your natural bite
– Making it easier to chew food
– Making it easier to clean
– Improving your confidence
Overall, dental implants are a safe and effective way to replace missing teeth and restore your oral health and aesthetic appeal with the help of our team at Mahimaa Dental Care. With proper care and maintenance, your dental implants can last a lifetime.
What you should know about the dental implant procedure?
Generally, the procedure for dental implants is divided into several stages. During the initial consultation, one of our experienced doctors, Dr Seethapathy will assess the patient’s overall oral health, make sure that the jawbone is capable of supporting the implant, and review the patient’s medical history.
The next step of the procedure is the implant placement. After numbing the area with a local anaesthetic, we will make a small incision in the gum line and carefully place the implant into the jawbone. This process usually takes about a few hours and requires a few visits to our dental clinic.
The next step is the healing period. After the implant has been placed, the area around the implant needs to heal and allow the implant to securely fuse with the jawbone. Depending on the patient, the healing period can last from 3 months to a year.
The last step is Restoration. After the healing period has passed, Dr Seethapathy will fit the implant with a dental crown and make any other necessary adjustments.
Overall, the entire process of getting a dental implant/s takes about 3-6 months, depending on the patient and their unique situation. It is important to follow our experienced doctor’s instructions carefully and take all medications as prescribed in order to ensure a successful outcome of the procedure.
Types of Dental Implants
Once our experienced team at Mahimaa Dental Care has evaluated the patient’s oral health and decided that they are a suitable candidate for dental implants, the next step is to determine which type of implant is the most suitable for the patient. Below are a few types of dental implants:
Endosteal Dental Implants
These implants are usually made of titanium and are surgically placed into the jawbone. They are the most common type of dental implant.
Subperiosteal Dental Implants
Subperiosteal dental implants are made from metal frames that are placed directly under the gum tissue but on top of the jawbone.
All-On-4 implants are a special type of implant used to support a full arch of false teeth. It consists of four implants that act as anchors for the false teeth.
These implants are similar to subperiosteal implants but are placed directly through the jawbone. They are usually used to support dentures.
We at Mahimaa Dental Care will discuss with you, which type of implant is best for you. Depending on your unique situation and type of implant, we will modify the implant placement procedure and customize it to your needs.
Post Procedure Care after a Dental implant surgery
After dental implant surgery, you will need to take care of your mouth to ensure the implant heals correctly. Here are a few tips from our experienced team of doctors, for taking care of your implants:
- Avoid Chewing – Immediately after the procedure, you will need to avoid chewing especially hard and sticky food stuffs to ensure your implants don’t become loose or suffer damage.
- Eat Soft Foods – Soft foods will make it easier for you to consume the nutrients your body needs to heal from the surgery.
- Use a Saline Rinse – Using a saline rinse can help rid your mouth of any food particles.
- Brush and Floss – Be sure to brush and floss your teeth twice a day to keep your mouth as clean as possible.
- Promote Healing – Keeping the area around the implants clean is important for helping the area heal.
When you take these precautionary steps after you have had a dental implant procedure, you can be sure your implants will be in the best condition to provide you with a long, healthy life.
How Long Do Dental Implants Last?
Dental implants, if properly cared for, can last a lifetime. Most dental implants are made from strong, durable materials like titanium that are designed to last. With proper care and maintenance, dental implants should last 10 years or longer.
The key to getting the most out of a dental implant is to practice good oral hygiene and follow the steps prescribed by our team at Mahimaa Dental Care. Proper brushing, flossing, and rinsing can all help keep your implants and surrounding teeth healthy. You should also make sure to get regular checkups with us to make sure your implants are still in good condition and that you do not have any signs of gum disease or other dental issues.
Dental implants are a great option for replacing missing teeth. With proper care and maintenance, they can last for many years and provide you with a beautiful smile. Make sure to not miss any appointments for follow-ups and practice good oral hygiene for the best results.
Dental Implant Complications
Dental implants can be a great solution for replacing missing teeth, however, there are risks and complications that come with them. Knowing potential dental implant complications can help with making an informed decision when choosing the right replacement option.
The most common dental implant complications are:
– Infection – Infections of dental implants can occur when bacteria reach the implant after the implantation procedure is completed.
– Nerve injury – Nerve injury can occur during implant placement, as the implant is placed in close proximity to the nerves.
– Extrusion – When bone loss occurs around the implant due to lack of stability, the implant becomes “loose” and can potentially come out of the jawbone (extrusion).
– Allergic reactions – Allergies to certain materials used for implants can occur if a patient is allergic to the metal or material used.
– Gum disease – Disease of the gum tissue can occur from a lack of proper follow-up care after the procedure.
– Overload of the implant – If the implant is overloaded with stresses that exceed its strength and design, it could break or be damaged.
It is important to recognize the signs and symptoms of dental implant complications and don’t forget to communicate them to our team at Mahimaa Dental Care. Treatment can help protect the integrity of the implants and surrounding teeth.
Aftercare and Maintenance of Dental Implants
Once a dental implant is successfully placed, proper care and maintenance are necessary to ensure it continues to provide years of good service. Just like natural teeth, caring for a dental implant involves proper oral hygiene, eating habits, and regular visits to the dentist.
To maintain a dental implant, we at Mahimaa Dental Care suggest,
– Brushing your teeth and dental implants gently at least twice a day using a toothbrush with soft bristles.
– Flossing with the help of an appropriate interdental brush or waxed dental floss to wriggle around and gently remove food particles and plaque from around your implant. The floss should also be gentle and slow around the areas where the implant meets the gum line.
– Rinsing your mouth after brushing and flossing with a prescribed mouthwash to remove residue and bacteria.
– Eating healthy food like greens and veggies and avoiding sticky and chewy food, and hard objects.
– Also ensure that you visit us regularly to check the condition of your implant and to check the implant site.
Caring for and maintaining your dental implants properly is the best way to ensure they serve you for many years to come.